With its innovative hardware and software products, Roboception GmbH, based in Munich, Germany, is a pioneer in 3D sensor technology: We give the robots eyes – and hence deliver key elements of our customer’s most forward-looking automation solutions.
In the frame of the ‘Industrial Doctorate Training Network on Future Wireless Connected and Automated Industry enabled by 5G’ programme of the EU, we are looking forward to recruiting a
Software Scientist (d/f/m), full time, for 3 years
The successful candidate will work on the development of the next generation of software for improving object detection and recognition, pose estimation and computation of grasp points, for use cases in the logistics and industrial automation domains.
The aim of this work is to provide stationary and mobile robotic systems with perception capabilities that enable them to detect known and unknown objects, exploiting all the environmental information available in the application area, and to pick and place them according to the specified task (e.g. bin picking, machine tending).
The work includes a secondment in project partner facilities of 6 months, in this case UPC (Barcelona, Spain), likely duing H2 of the first year of the contract. The main research topic during the secondment is related with the motion and coordination planning part of the work.
– Development of methods for 3D object recognition of known and unknown objects, using machine learning and/or traditional image processing approaches
– Performance optimization for software modules w.r.t. picking, placing and tending especially in mobile applications and wireless and 5G networks
– Support of the product owners with the analysis of customer requirements and the creation of MVPs
– Analysis of the applicability, requirements and limitations of wireless and 5G technology in robotics
– Presentation of development results during internal reviews and customer-facing
– Support of the sales team with feasibility studies and technical support for customer inquiries
– Maintenance and documentation of interfaces and software products for customers and developers
– Dissemination of the technical results in world-class international conferences and journals.
The position is open to an early stage researcher, with less than 4 years of experience (post graduate)
Required research experience:
– Good knowledge of scientific writing and reading
– Self-reliant elaboration of research topics and presentation of results
Additional required academic training:
– Additional postgraduate courses on the research area will be a plus
Required language skills:
– English (fluent)
– Knowledge of German is a plus
– Enthusiasm for innovative software products and development-as-a-team
– Very good knowledge of C++, Python, ROS
– Good knowledge of software development environments such as Gitlab and software development in Linux
– Experience in agile software development (SCRUM)
– Good knowledge of the development of algorithms in the 2D/ 3D image processing domain
– Good knowledge of machine learning approaches and their application in robotics
– Willingness to travel and to spend a 6 month period at the project partner UPC in Barcelona
– A self-reliant and responsible way of working, joy in the creation of customer-oriented software products and a feel for intuitive user interfaces
Please note: This position is offered in the context of the European Union’s 5GSmartFact Project. For this reason, it is mandatory to submit your application via the Project’s Recruitment Portal AND by eMail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to reference the 5GSmartFact Project ESR-13 position in your application.